The German Minister for Culture and Media, Prof. Monika Grütters, calls for better protection of copyright and collective management. The communiqué (in German) is available here.
Claiming that “artists and creators must live from their work – not just survive”, she is asking to, inter alia:
• Strengthen the fight against piracy, especially by introducing a self-committed ban regarding advertising on pirate sites, and accountability of Internet intermediaries.
• Speed up procedures to fix the amount of remuneration for private copying.
• Abandon the idea to abolish territorial restrictions by introducing European-wide licences.
• Encourage e-lending on the basis of self-regulation between libraries and publishers.
• Ensure the role of collective management organisations, including their social and cultural mission, when implementing the EU Collective Rights Management Directive 2014/26/EU.